1. Lists reduce complex ideas that require thought to mere enumeration. No more awkward misunderstandings! In fact, no more understandings either!
2. Numbers feel scientific and irrefutable. Number one: you can’t argue with this. Number two: shut up.
3. Numbers stuck to abstractions give the illusion of substance. Jeez, I don’t know what these reasons are, but there sure are five of them!
4. Numbering things is inextricably linked to the idea of gaining wealth. I’m rich! Rich in bathroom reno ideas!
5. Lists are easy to remember. At parties. When you’re drunk. And arguing pointlessly.